MediaTek has unveiled the Helio P22 SoC targeting the premium mid-range smartphone market. As with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 710 which has just been announced, the new Helio P22 brings some of the high-end SoC features to mid-tier devices at a lower price point.
The P22 is the fabricated on TSMC’s 12nm FinFET process. Interestingly, MediaTek claims this is first premium mid-range SoC manufactured on the process, but they do fail to note that Qualcomm is shipping their Snapdragon 710 on a more advanced 10nm 10LPE process. The chip itself sports eight Cortex-A53 cores operating at up to 2 GHz and supports LPDDR4X memory operating at up to 1600 MHz.
One of the more interesting changes that MediaTek has done with the P22 is with the GPU. This is the first Helio P to feature an Imagination Technologies PowerVR GPU. In the past, MediaTek has only been using Mali GPUs for this series. The P22 incorporates the PowerVR GE8320 GPU operating at up to 650 MHz.
While both MediaTek and Qualcomm market their SoCs to premium mid-range smartphones, it’s clear the two have wildly different definitions for “premium mid-range”.
|Premium Mid-range SoCs|
|Model||Helio P22||Snapdragon 710|
|Process||12 nm||10 nm|
|CPU||8 × Cortex-A53 @ 2.0 GHz||2 × Kryo 360 Gold (A75) @ 2.2 GHz
6 × Kryo 360 Silver (A55) @ 1.7 GHz
|Memory||2 × LPDDR4X @ 1600 MHz||2 × LPDDR4X @ 1866 MHz|
|GPU||PowerVR GE8320 @ 650 MHz
1600 x 720
|Adreno 616 @ 750 MHz
2560 x 1600
|ISP||13 + 8 MP (Dual) / 21 MP (Single)||2 × Spectra 250 (14-bit)
20 MP (Dual) / 32 MP (Single)
|Modem||Category 13 (uplink) 150 Mbps
Category 7 (downlink) 300 Mbps
Category 13 (uplink) 150 Mbps
Category 15 (downlink) 800 Mbps
The Helio P22 is already in volume production with devices based on the SoC already launching. Vivo has launched the Vivo Y83 smartphone which uses the P22 and comes with 4 GiB of ram as well as a 13-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 8 MP front camera.
- Hot Chips 30: Nvidia Xavier SoC
- GlobalFoundries, Arm Demonstrate High-Density 3D Stacked Mesh Interconnect for HPC Applications
- TSMC Demonstrates A 7nm Arm-Based Chiplet Design for HPC
- Arm Launches New Neoverse N1 and E1 Server Cores
- Samsung Discloses Exynos M4 Changes, Upgrades Support for ARMv8.2, Rearranges The Back-End
- Ampere Ships First Gen ARM Server Processors
- Cavium Takes ARM to Petascale with Astra
- SC19: Aurora Supercomputer To Feature Intel First Exascale Xe GPGPU, 7nm Ponte Vecchio
- A Look at Cerebras Wafer-Scale Engine: Half Square Foot Silicon Chip
- Groq Tensor Streaming Processor Delivers 1 PetaOPS of Compute
- Arm Makes Headway In HPC, Cloud
- Intel Announces Keem Bay: 3rd Generation Movidius VPU
- A Look at Spring Crest: Intel Next-Generation DC Training Neural Processor
- Marvell Lays Out ARM Server Roadmap
- AMD Announces 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper
- Intel Launches Stratix 10 GX 10M; 10M LEs, Two Massive Interconnected Dies
- IBM Adds POWER9 AIO, Pushes for an Open Memory-Agnostic Interface